UAB has a good deal of active research projects in the area of applied mathematics. The Department of Mathematics manages several competitive projects, funded by European, Spanish and Catalan agencies. We highlight the European project:
- Metric analysis for emergent technologies (MANET) (EA611347, 2014-2018),
and those funded by the Spanish government and most related with applied mathematics and to statistics:
- Numerical analysis for the dynamics of complex fluids and variational models of image processing (MTM2014-56218-C2-2-P, 2015-2018)
- Population dynamics and mathematical modelling of biological evolution (MTM2014-52402-C3-2-P, 2015-2018)
- Dynamical Systems: Stochastic PDE, limit theorems and modelling (MTM2105-67802-P, 2016-2018)
- Statistical modelling of environmental, technological and health risks (MTM2015-64943-R, 2016-2018)
the last one led by Prof. P. Puig, which belongs to the InterMaths teaching team. Moreover, the School of Engineering, supporting the implementation of the UAB specialisation, holds the two relevant projects
- "Automated Air Traffic Management for Remote Pilot Aircraft Systems", P. I. Prof Miquel Angel Piera, funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness
- "Information Modeling and Processing", P. I. Prof. Ernest Tinent, funded by the Catalonian Agency for Management of University and Research Grants.
The UAB has a long tradition of technology transfer in several scientific areas. The so-called UAB sphere is a whole ecosystem of research centres, hospitals, technological parks and spin-offs (some located inside the main campus) that conveys a stimulating atmosphere of applied research and commitment with the society. Inside the sphere, the UAB Research Park (PRUAB) is a foundation that helps linking researchers and industries.