Get the most out of your study period in Katowice!
Browse the tabs below to find useful information
Overview: University of Silesia in Katowice
If you’re like most students who choose University of Silesia, you’re looking for more. Of course, you’re out to acquire a competitive edge in the post-graduate job market, academic qualifications, and the kind of sought-after professional skills employers look for and that our students leave here armed with. But you’ll also want to take priceless memories of your experience with you, right? If so, University of Silesia is your perfect fit!
University of Silesia - Established in 1968, it offers over 50 fields of study and serves over 35,000 students. Academic campuses are located in 5 key cities of the region, with the hub in Katowice. To promote international exchanges of scholars, students, and ideas, the University of Silesia has signed some 450 Erasmus bilateral agreements of cooperation with 29 other European countries. Students are offered accommodation in dormitories near their lecture halls and have access to well-equipped libraries, cafeterias, and over 160 student clubs emphasizing science, sports, media, music, drama, art, you name it. The Student Union works closely with the university leadership and has a great impact on enriching the academic cultural life students thrive on. Every year, during the summer semester, two remarkable events are organized: Juwenalia, a festival where students actually seize control of cities from their mayors and have a blast at countless concerts and parties, and a Festival of Science during which students carry out experiments in the streets and have colorful parades. Such fun recharges students’ batteries so that they excel at their studies.
Silesian Centre for Education and Interdisciplinary Research (ŚMCEBI)
The Silesian Centre for Education and Interdisciplinary Research (ŚMCEBI) was star¬ted in October 2012 as a project under the 13th Priority Axis of the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment.
This is a very modern, dynamic Centre, which allows for implementation of innova¬tive educational projects (including transnational projects).
The ŚMCEBI was developed to:
• improve the quality of education and increase the number of students in the priority areas for the development of the economy,
• build the infrastructure allowing to create an attractive range of educational services, providing education in areas of strategic importance for the country's development,
• increase access for student to modern, unique laboratory equipment centred in modern, certified laboratories,
• improve access for students to modern tools and information/communication techniques used for teaching,
• intensify international mobility of students and academic staff by cooperation with foreign research centres and development of international studies,
• increase young people's interest in natural sciences,
• improve educational opportunities for people with disabilities.
As a result of high quality teaching and research activities, in accordance with the implemented program assumptions, the ŚMCEBI guarantees:
• development of high technology — fields and disciplines of applied sciences desirable from the point of view of economic development of the country,
• strengthening of the human potential in research and technology,
• promotion of knowledge,
• cross-sector cooperation and linking potentials of partner institutions.