Italian language and culture - level A1
The aim of this course is to provide the student with knowledge of pre-intermediate grammatical structures, vocabulary and comunicative structures of the Italian language. Many notions of Italian culture will be given during the course.
On successful completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- recognize words and expression of common usage relating to context concerning himself (for instance basic informations concerning himself and his family, shopping, local geography and job). Catch the essence of short, easy and clear messages and ads.
- read short and easy texts finding specific informations in materials of everyday use such as ads, plans, menus and timetables. Understand short and easy personal correspondence;
-comunicate in simple tasks requiring only an exchange of information concerning usual activities and usual topics. Take part to short conversations, even if usually he doesn't understand what he needs to carry on the conversation;
-use expressions and phrases to describe his family and other people, his living conditions and his current job;
-write simple notes and short messages on topics concerning immediate needs.
Write a very simple personal letter (for instance to thank somebody).
The aim of the course is to develop the following skills:
- AURAL COMPREHENSION: to understand everything necessary aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type, provided that the speaker speaks slowly and clearly.
- WRITTEN COMPREHENSION: to understand simple and short texts of familiar content and concrete type, formulated in a common vocabulary of everyday life and job;
- ORAL EXPRESSION: to describe and introduce in an easy way people, living conditions, daily tasks, to say what he likes or dislikes etc. using expressions and phrases linked together in order to create a list;
- WRITTEN EXPRESSION: to write expressions and phrases linked by easy connective as "e", "ma" and "perché";
- ORAL INTERACTION: to interact with ease in structured situations and short conversations with the collaboration of the interlocutor. To take part in easy routine conversations; to ask and answer to simple questions; to share ideas and information about familiar topics in everyday situations;
- WRITTEN INTERACTION: to write short and simple notes about immediate needs using conventional formulae.
The following social-communicative actions will be analyzed and developed:
1. introduce himself;
2. ask and give personal informations;
3. greet and answer to greetings;
4. begin, maintain and finish a conversation;
5. give thanks and answer to thanks;
6. accept or refuse a invitation - invite someone;
7. search, ask and give information in everyday situations;
8. express desires;
9. introduce someone;
10. describe people, objects and places;
11. describe a place and put an element in a place;
12. speak about himself and ask questions about past events;
13. put events in a timeline;
14. express and ask questions about time and dates;
15. put events in a sequence;
16. express moods, feelings and emotions;
17. express the wish to do something;
18. ask and give the permission to do something;
19. order or ban somebody to do something;
20. give and understand simple instructions;
21.give an explanation;
22. express judgments and personal opinions;
23. make simple assumptions.
The following grammar skills will be analyzed and developed:
-opposizione articolo determinativo e indeterminativo;
-aggettivi qualificativi di alta frequenza;
-aggettivi numerali, cardinali e ordinali;
-aggettivi e pronomi possessivi e dimostrativi;
-pronomi personali soggetto;
-pronomi personali complemento;
-uso appropriato del che;
-verbi di alta frequenza;
-condizionale in formule fisse di richiesta;
-congiunzioni (e additivo, ma avversativo, o disgiuntivo);
-principali preposizioni semplici in espressioni fisse (a casa; con le mani; di mio fratello);
-locuzioni avverbiali di alta frequenza (causa, tempo, luogo);
-subordinate causali e temporali.
The following semantic fields will be analyzed:
-food and drinks
-offices, shops, city
-body and health
The following textbook will be used during the course:
"Nuovo Espresso 1", Alma Edizioni, Firenze 2014, lessons 7-10.
Further learning material will be provided during the lessons.