2023 Blended Intensive Programmes (B.I.P.) in Mathematical Modelling
L'Aquila, May-July 2023
The 2023 Blended Intensive Programmes (BIP) in Modelling Earthquakes, Mathematical models for natural disasters and Modelling and Simulations of Social-Behavioural Phenomena involves a set of short courses addressed to MSc and PhD students.
The three programmes will revolve around applied mathematics viewed as an interdisciplinary area at the interface with engineering, physics, economy, geology, biology and social sciences.
The Modelling Earthquakes BIP will be based on the study of stochastic and elastodynamics equations for earthquake dynamics.
The Mathematical Models for Natural Disasters BIP will be based on the study of reaction-diffusion, elastodynamic and fluid dynamics equations.
The Modelling and Simulations of Social-Behavioural Phenomena BIP will be based on the study of reaction-diffusion-aggregation equations and conservation laws.
Suitable Artificial Intelligence and High Performance Computing techniques will be introduced in all BIP.
The three programmes will be consist of:
- An online preparatory module in the period May-June 2023, 15 hours with three mini-courses related to these preliminary subjects: introduction to PDEs, AI and HPC.
- And in-presence week in the period July 3 - 8, 2023 hosted by the DISIM (Department of Information Engineering, Computer Sciences and Mathematics) of the University of L'Aquila with in-presence courses, training AI-HPC lab. sessions and final project activity.
July 3 - 8, 2023
All the students who wish to join our summer school must be currently enrolled in an MSc or PhD course in one of the following disciplines:
- Applied mathematics
- Physics and Geophysics
- Or similar subjects.
Courses will focus on these topics: Earthquake engineering, Computational Seismology, Geology, Pedestrian movement modelling, Epidemiology, Opinion dynamics, Earth observation and Climate models. Some of the activities listed above will be common among the three BIP and some others will be more specific. More information about complete contents and lecturers will be pubblished as soon as possible.
The participation of students and teachers will be supported by the new Erasmus short mobility scholarship and Erasmus Staff or Teaching Mobility scholarship. Below the list of Partner.
- University of L’Aquila, Italy - Coordinating Institution
- Hamburg University of Technology, Germany – Partner
- University of Hamburg, Germany – Partner
- Vienna University of Technology, Austria – Partner
- Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain – Partner
- University of Côte d’Azur in Nice, France – Partner
- University of Aveiro, Portugal – Partner
- Karlstad University, Sweden – Partner
- Brno University of Technology, Czech Republic – Partner
- Gdansk University of Technology, Poland – Partner
- University of Silesia in Katowice, Poland – Partner
- Silesian University of Technology, Poland – Partner
- Maria Curie-Skłodowska University in Lublin, Poland – Partner
- Jönköping University, Sweden – Partner
- Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology, Finland – Partner
- Leibniz University Hannover, Germany – Partner
- National Technical University of Athens, Greece – Partner
- University of Patras, Greece – Partner
- Rey Juan Carlos University, Spain – Partner
- Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava, Slovakia – Partner
- Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey – Partne
- Technical University of Cluj Napoca, Cluj Napoca, Romania – Partner
Online activities start in:
On-campus week starts in:
Students from partners Institutions will be supported by the new Erasmus short mobility scholarship. Please contact the International Relations Office once you filled the form at the link below.